Terrific bomb blast strikes Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet Square
Atleast 10 people are killed and 15 injured in an explosion at Central Istanbul’s Sultanahmet square on Tuesday morning, According to a statement from the Istanbul governor and Turkish news agencies.
The cause of the explosion was unclear. Dogan news agency reported that the authorities were investigating the attack as a suicide bombing.
There was no immediate claim of the responsibility yet.
Authorities and security officials are focusing on IS links because the explosion occurred in a tourist area targeting foreigners and tourists. The Turkish Hurriyet news site says the securities suspects an IS- linked suicide bomber behind the attack.
The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban on news about the explosion.
Turkey’s independent Dogan news agency reports that at least eight foriegners were injured which includes six Germans, one Peruvian and a Norwegian.
In a live- TV address about the attack,Turkish President Receb Tayyip Erdogan blamed a suicide bomber of Syrian origin . He also adds that Turks and foreigners are among the dead.
Joint statement by European Union High Representative/Vice President Federica Mogherini and Commissioner Johannes Hahn condemns the terrorist attackTurkish President said that the first target of all the terror groups active in this region is Turkey. Because, Turkey fight them all with the same determination.
Erdogan attacked foreign writers and academics, including Noam Chomskey for criticising his government, in the video address. He said: “Pick a side. You are either on the side of the Turkish government, or you’re on the side of the terrorists.”
Sultanahmet is home to some of Istanbul’s most visited landmarks, including the Blue Mosque. The city has already witnessed two major terrorist attack last year.