On Afzal Guru's third death anniversary , Jammu and Kashmir on high alert

[caption id="attachment_265927" align="alignleft" width="450"] File Pix : Afzal Guru, 2001 Parliament attack accused[/caption]Security forces have...

On Afzal Guru

[caption id="attachment_265927" align="alignleft" width="450"]File Pix : Afzal Guru, 2001 Parliament attack accused File Pix : Afzal Guru, 2001 Parliament attack accused[/caption]

Security forces have been put on maximum alert to thwart any incident across  Jammu and Kashmir  in view of the third death anniversary of the parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.  It may be recalled Afzal Guru, the December 2001 Parliament attack convict, was hanged in New Delhi's Tihar Jail three years ago. The hanging which was done in secrecy was criticised by many political parties.

As a precautionary measure  Jammu and Kashmir Police  launched a crackdown on separatist leaders to foil the protests. A police contingent raided JKLF office at Abi Guzar here and arrested its chief Muhammad Yasin Malik along with three leaders including vice-chairman Mushtaq Ajmal, zonal press in-charge Ashraf-Bin-Salam and Ghulam Muhammad Dar.

As a result All shops, business establishments remained closed with traffic at the minimal in the state summer capital. The daily chores of the people of the valley were affected owing to the non-availability of public transport.

Both factions of Hurriyat Conference, Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) and other separatist groups have called for a complete shutdown and peaceful protests on February 9 and February 11 - the hanging anniversaries of Guru and JKLF founder Muhammad Maqbool Butt, respectively.  Butt was executed on February 11, 1984.

Taking no chances the Para military forces and police have been deployed in many sensitive areas to stop any kind of protests. The shutdown call was given by all separatist groups including Hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Yasin Malik.

With no government  in the state and under President's rule , the security forces are leaving no stone unturned to foil any attempts to disturb law and order in the valley. Jammu and Kashmir is set to witness tense days ahead  due to the protests calls.

"All CRPF establishments and units have been put on high alert in view of strike and protest call given by all factions of Hurriyat and all the separatists on February 9, 10 and 11," a CRPF spokesman said in a statement .