Syria: Reports from the Syrian government states they have given the approval for the humanitarian access to seven besieged areas. Spokesperson of Syria mentioned that convoys were being prepared to depart “as soon as possible”.
Among the areas due to receive aid is Madaya, which apparently is an area where people have been dying of starvation.
All the world powers, last week agreed to seek a nationwide “cessation of hostilities” and to accelerate and expand aid deliveries.
After talks on Tuesday in Damascus, the UN special envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, said the Syrian government engaged in the duty to allow access to whoever needed it.
The seven areas are those deemed by the 17-member International Syria Support Group to be most in need of relief.
“Humanitarian agencies and partners are preparing convoys for these areas to depart as soon as possible in the coming days,” said Haq.
As per reports from the UN, almost half a million people live in besieged areas. The truce, which does not apply to jihadist groups, is due to come into force later this week.
Earlier Russia said it “categorically rejects” accusations of war crimes over the bombing of hospitals in Syria.
Turkey has blamed Russia for a series of rocket attacks on several hospitals and schools that killed up to 50 people.
Save the Children has said that seven healthcare facilities were hit by strikes on Monday – more than previously reported.