Union Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu has presented his second Railway Budget in Parliament. The minister on the eve of the Budget had said that the rail budget will cater to the needs of all “satisfactorily” as a lot of effort has gone into its preparation. Let’s see what he will (Suresh Prabhu) give, whether bullet train is going or people going to get bullets says Congress leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge .
Suresh Prabhu further stated that the budget is reflective of the aspirations of the entire railway family, the common man who have been talking to him on social media and meeting him, and of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. These are challenging times. We need to reorganise, restructure.
* Capital outlay of Indian Railways seen at Rs 1.21 lakh crore in 2017.
* Increase speed of freight trains by 50kmph, of mail trains by 80kmph.
* Port connectivity and North East connectivity will be priority in this budget
* Mizoram and Manipur to be brought under broad gauge soon
Transparency to be encouraged, online recruitment and social media to be the tools
Social Media has been converted to a complaint redressal mechanism
72 new trains have been given housekeeping services.
* About 2,500 water vending machines have been provided at railway stations.
* 1,780 automatic ticket vending machines have been added to stations.
* Braille enabled train wagons implemented for specially abled people
* Wi-Fi facility have been provided to 100 stations. It will be increased to 400 stations in next two years, in partnership with Google.