At least 34 people were killed and 125 others injured after an explosion hit Turkey’s capital city of Ankara, the media reported . A bomb-laden car caused the explosion late Sunday night near Kizilay square, Hurriyet Daily News reported.
Health Minister Mehmet MÃ¼ezzinoglu said 30 people were killed at the scene of the incident while four others died on their way to the hospital, adding that one or two of them could be the attackers.
Some 19 people were in critical condition as seven were in surgery and the toll may increase, he said. So far, no terror group has claimed responsibility of the attack.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the attack in a written statement, adding that “Turkey has become a target of terror attacks due to the instabilities in the region.” Turkey will continue its determined fight against terrorism, he said. This is the third major blast to hit the Turkish capital since October 2015.
Islamic State (IS) militants bombed a peace rally near the Ankara Railway Station that killed 103 people on October 10, 2015.
On February 17, a suicide car bomb attack targeted military shuttles in the capital city on killing 29 people and injuring 81 others.