Daylight robbery in Delhi Metro

Two unidentified men allegedly looted Rs.12 lakh from a Delhi Metro station control room after stabbing the employee on duty on Monday morning.The...

Daylight robbery in Delhi Metro


Two unidentified men allegedly looted Rs.12 lakh from a Delhi Metro station control room after stabbing the employee on duty on Monday morning.

The incident was reported from Rajendra Place metro station, which falls on the blue line of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), in central Delhi.

"At around 5.15 a.m. today (Monday), two unidentified persons entered the paid area of Rajendra Place metro station through the AFC (Automated Fare Collection) gates using gate number 2," according to a DMRC official statement.

"Thereafter, the men forcibly entered the station control room located at platform number 2 on the pretext of a complaint, and grabbed the on-duty station controller Kunal Kishore. They stabbed him and took away the station earning of approximately Rs.12 lakh," the official said.

The official further said that both the attackers exited from gate number 1 of the metro station around 5.34 a.m.

"Kunal was later admitted to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital for medical assistance and his condition is presently stable," the metro official said.

Police said they have filed a case under sections 394 (voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery), 397 (robbery), and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) at the Rajouri Garden metro police station.

"The case is being investigated on merit, we have deployed several teams," Joint Commissioner of Police M.K. Meena said.

However, it is a mystery how the two men managed to enter the station with a knife, after passing through the frisking and baggage scanning.

Police sources are also curious to know why the injured staffer failed to call the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, deployed at the station. The CISF is in charge of the internal security of metro stations.

CISF sources, unwilling to be quoted, told agency that their personnel on duty had thoroughly frisked the two men in the morning and their bags were also properly scanned.

"We did not find any suspicious item on their person or baggage at the time," the CISF source told IANS. Both the men had used metro smart cards to enter and exit the station.

The source also voiced doubts about the entire sequence of events as narrated by the victim.

The source said that one CISF personnel had seen the victim with blood stains on his clothes as he was leaving a washroom -- around 20 minutes after the two men had left the metro premises.

Queried about the blood stains, the victim declined to answer.

However, the victim, Kunal, within some minutes raised an alarm about the alleged robbery.

The Rs.12 lakh amount had been collected as earnings over Saturday and Sunday and was to be deposited in a bank on Monday.