Supreme Court refuses to modify NEET, Exams on Sunday
Setting aside the “genuine difficulties” of the Central Government to conduct the National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET), the apex court made it clear that the entrance test will be held as per the schedule in tow faces on May 1 and July 24. By refusing to make any changes in the former Schedule, the bench put an end to the confusions regarding the medical entrance test which spread after the Centre took a U-turn in its earlier decision raising some difficulties.”We have passed our order. Let the exams go on”, Justice Anil R Dave said during the hearing.
Besides NEET, all other medical entrance examinations in the states like Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Telengana will also be held. stating that the examination will be held as per schedule in two phases, the bench asked Additional Solicitor General Pinky Annand to file application asking for the relief government need in conducting it.
Earlier on Friday, the Centre had informed the Court that it will be highly difficult to conduct the entrance exams for undergraduate dental and medical courses in many states of the country.
Yesterday, Attorney General Mukul Rohtgi sought modification of the court order citing difficulties of many students who have done their schooling in their regional language, who will find it hard to give the entrance test in English. He also said that the decision is discriminatory since it denies the rights of students to attend medical test for not knowing English. “The Court should allow the exam being conducted by states along with the NEET,” he said.
This year CBSE is conducting the NEET only in English and Hindi.
Meanwhile, the SC has also said that those who cannot attend the exam on May 1, can appear for it in the next phase which will be conducted on July 24.