What are the colorful facts about doing internship at Apple
The art of secrecy!
1. You get a couple of t-shirts and other Apple swag on the day you join, along with a beautifully crafted letter about working at Apple and its culture. There is also an Apple company store in 1 Infinite Loop where you can buy all the Apple memorabilia you could possibly want.
2. Apple organises intern games, intern socials and intern outings, one of which was to go watch the SF giants
3. You get to listen to awesome intern only talks given by the big wigs like Tim Cook, Jony Ive, Craig Federighi et al and they take questions.
4. All interns are eligible for heavily discounted Apple products which is awesome!
5. Apple has beer blasts with free flow beer, wine and snacks on many Fridays which are great fun
6. Apart from these you have the other standard Silicon Valley perks like free intern housing, free transport, health insurance, competitive salary and free food (nearly free).
7. You get to be aware of some of the secret stuff Apple is working on ...... and be the envy of people around you
Best of all you get to learn from and work with teams that ship products that billions of users adore, which is the best perk of them all ;)
More over all these:
Meaningful Work - You get put on a real project, with real responsibilities, and have real impact on product outcomes. You interact with movers and shakers in the company on a fairly frequent basis (I had weekly meetings headed up by the head of all iPod/iPhone Product Design), and your opinion is valued as if you were an employee.
Great Intern Culture - Almost all the interns are very good at what they do, and are passionate about doing it. There were frequent intern trips in to San Francisco, nightly volleyball games at 1 Infinite Loop, outings to various Cupertino restaurants, etc.
Seeing Behind the Curtain of Secrecy - It was super cool to get to be intimately involved in products before they came out, and to see the gritty details of past products, even some that never made it to market. It should be noted, however, that this only applies within your immediate department, as everything outside of your department is on a need-to-know basis.
Great Intern-specific Events - Even though you're treated almost as a full employee in terms of responsibilities, Apple does a great job of giving interns cool events such as the Executive Speaker Series (intern only talks by Apple's leadership team, including Jobs himself), Intern Field Trips to San Francisco, and iContest, which is an intern ideas contest, judged by Apple execs, with amazing prizes*.
High Possibility of Hiring After Graduation - If that's what you want, and you did a good job during your internship. I don't remember the exact figures, but a surprisingly large number of Apple's full time employees came through the intern program.
Good Pay - If this is important to you, Apple offers the highest intern pay of any internship I've heard of, including the wonderful California overtime rules.