At least 8 dead in fire at chemist in Andheri
Eight people were killed and one seriously injured in a fire in a Mumbai suburb.
The fire broke out in a Medical Store situated on Wireless Road in Juhu Galli in Andheri West.
The medical store was on the ground floor, while the family which owned it were staying on the first and second floor.
The cause of the fire is unclear but it was so intense that it resulted in the deaths in a matter of barely an hour.
While five of them died due to suffocation by the toxic fumes, two sustained severe burns, said the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Disaster control.
The police suspect the blaze could have been due to short circuit. However a fire and rescue official said it could have been due to the explosion of a cylinder stored in the medical store.
A probe is being conducted to ascertain the cause of the fire.
(With IANS input)