Monday, June 13th, 2016

ISIS claims responsibility for Orlando attack

Narada Desk | June 13, 2016 2:02 am Print
The terror group's news outlet said the attack was carried out by ISIS fighter
Omar Mateen

The ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Orlando night club shooting that left 50 dead and 50 other injured.

Al Amaq Agency which disseminates news of the terror group said the attack was carried out by a ISIS fighter.

Authorities are still investigating whether its an act of terrorism. Officials said that Omar Mir Seddique Mateen, the gunman suspected of mass killing was on their radar, but was not under investigation.

Mateen called the emergency telephone number 911 prior to the attack and after identifying himself he pledged allegiance to ISIS, CBS News reported.

Sunday’s attack has been termed as the biggest terror attack in the US after 9/11.

Investigators are now veering towards “Islamic terrorism” as a motive for the killing.

President Barack Obama said the “horrific”shooting is an act of “terror” and an “act of hate”.

“This was an act of terror, and an act of hate,” he told reporters in the White House.

“This is an especially heartbreaking day for all our friends — our fellow Americans — who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender,” he added.

He also reminded how easy its for some one to get access to fire arms. ” Today marks the most deadly shooting in American history”…”This massacre is therefore a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school, or in a house of worship, or a movie theater, or in a nightclub.”

The 29 year old guman who went on a shooting spree in the Pulse night club was identified by his ex-wife from a series of photos he posted on MySpace.

She said Mateen’s parents had migrated from Afghanistan, but he was born in US.

The woman has been identified as Sitora Alisherzoda Yusufiy. She is said to have migrated from Uzbekistan when she was 11 years old.


Online records show that the two were married in 2009. The couple who were living in Mateen’s home in Port St. Lucie, Florida however divorced two years later.

Mateen did not not show any leaning towards radical Islam, then Sitora said.


She was “rescued” by her parents from the abusive relationship and she never met Mateen after their divorce, Sitora said.


She posted a condolence message on her Facebook page from Colorado after the attack.
“Great Spirit I offer my deepest prayer and condolences to the victims of the Orlando shooting… May they transition in peace may their souls be healed, may the wounded victims recover and heal in peace, may the families and loved ones heal and find their peace…. Archangel Michael Please protect us from suffering and the suffered…. Please protect us from hate, violence, anger and instability…. Amen”

Sitora’s new fiancé is a Brazilian, who is engaged in the conservation of rainforests.

Mateen has a three year old son with Noor Zahi Salman.It is believed he married the 30 year old, some time in 2013.


The status of the relationship is not clear, as Noor Zahi has refused to speak to the media so far. She has deleted all her social media presence, soon after the attack in the night club.

The shooting had nothing to do about his religion, Mateen’s father Mir Seddique was quoted as saying by NBC News.

But he said his son had became “very angry after seeing two men kissing in Miami” months ago, possibly giving a clue to why Mateen had targeted the popular gay night club.