J&K: In successive strikes, 5 security personnel killed in 24 hours

The spurt in militant attacks, especially in south Kashmir signal fresh recruits to their ranks

J&K: In successive strikes, 5 security personnel killed in 24 hours

Two attacks in twenty four hours have killed five security personnel in Kashmir – two cops and three BSF men.

Two police personnel were killed in South Kashmir town of Anantnag when militants fired at a police patrol party at general bus stand killing Assistant Sub-Inspector Basheer Ahmad and the constable Riyaz Ahmad. ASI Basheer was the in-charge of the police post at the bus stand in the absence of the Duty Officer Tawseef Ahmad who had gone on leave.

In a major strike on Friday, militants killed three BSF personnel and injured seven others, when gunmen attacked their convoy near Bijbehara town in South Kashmir.

The attack took place at around 4:30 pm near Goriwan area of the town when the convoy comprising 11 vehicles was on its way from Jammu to Srinagar.

Militant outfit Hizbul Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack on BSF convoy.

In a statement to a local news agency, Hizbul Mujahideen operational spokesperson Burhanuddin said that “several BSF men were killed in the attack carried out by a special squad of the outfit”.

The attack in Anantnag was similar to the two successive strikes carried out in Srinagar on May 23, which killed three policemen including an Assistant Sub Inspector. This was the first such major attack in the city in more than two years.

Militants carried out the attacks in two parts of the city, firing indiscriminately at two police parties. They also decamped with an assault rifle of one of the slain cops.

The first attack was carried out at Zadibal area of the downtown Srinagar where militants killed two cops. ASI Ghulam Mohammad and head constable Nazir Ahmad. This was followed by the killing of the constable Mohammad Sadiq at Tengpora, in another part of the city.

Srinagar attacks were also claimed by Hizbul Mujahideen.

Incidentally, Anantnag is headed for a by-poll and  chief minister Mehbooba Mufti is one of the nine candidates contesting.

Security forces have killed around 50 militants in the five months of this year. Most of these killings have taken place in parts of South Kashmir. But the recent attacks show militants on the offensive, signalling fresh recruits to their ranks.

Picture of militants goes viral

Hours after the attack, a picture of the militants who carried out the attack in Anantnag went viral.

The photograph shows two militants with AK 47 rifles at the scene of the attack with one of them carrying a bag probably loaded with arms.

Possibly uploaded by the militants, the photograph was widely shared on Facebook and Whats App.