Famous MMA fighter and former professional boxer Kimbo Slice has passed away at the age of 42.
The streetfighting star who was an internet sensation as well, boxed between 2011 and 2013 with a 7-0-KO6 record, died on Monday after being taken to hospital near his home in Coral Springs, Florida.
There have been no confirmations on the cause of his death, but reports in America suggest it was a fatal heart attack.
‘Slice’ had been under the MMA promotional company of Bellator MMA, and CEO Scott Coker told TZ Sports:
“We are all shocked and saddened by the devastating untimely loss of Kimbo Slice, a beloved member of the Bellator family.
“Outside of the cage, he was a friendly, gentle giant and a devoted family man. His loss leaves us all with extremely heavy hearts, and our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Ferguson family and all of Kimbo’s friends, fans and team-mates.”
‘Slice’ had not been involved in MMA since 2011, when he switched to professional boxing at heavyweight.
But after winning all seven professional fights, he turned his attentions back to his first sport and signed a deal with Bellator for his first MMA fight in five years.
Local media reports said that Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, had been hospitalized earlier Monday in South Florida. His official website also confirmed his death.
He was engaged to his long-time girlfriend Antionette Ray and leaves behind six children – three boys and three girls.
“One of the most popular MMA fighters ever, Kimbo was a charismatic, larger-than-life personality that transcended the sport. Outside of the cage he was a friendly, gentle giant and a devoted family man,” said Bellator MMA President Scott Coker.
“His loss leaves us all with extremely heavy hearts, and our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Ferguson family and all of Kimbo’s friends, fans, and teammates.”
“We battled inside the cage, warrior vs warrior,” said UFC fighter, and hall of fame member Ken Shamrock. “REST IN PEACE KIMBO SLICE. May God Watch Over You.”
RIP KIMBO SLICE.