14th day of curfew spells havoc in Kashmir, normalcy a distant dream

Authorities have imposed curfew in all the 10 districts of the Valley by making announcements on loudspeaker mounted on police vehicles and asked people to remain indoors

Kashmir Valley, Curfew

There seems to be no end to the woes of the people of Jammu and Kashmir following the killing of terror poster boy Burhan Wani and the subsequent largescale protests over his killings. That had seen protesters clashing with the security forces and as a result many lives were lost and others left injured.  In wake of violent protests, imposition of curfew along with the separatists-called protest shutdown life across the Valley for the 14th day running on Friday was marred. Normalcy, it seems, is still far away. Kashmir has been debated in the monsoon session of Parliament by all parties. But solution is far away.

The authorities imposed curfew in all 10 districts of the Valley on Friday making announcements on loudspeaker mounted on police vehicles and asked people to remain indoors.

“People are asked to remain indoors,” said one such loudspeaker mounted on a police vehicle in north Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.

According to media reports, the state administration has said curfew will be strictly enforced to prevent post-Friday prayer violence in the Valley. Separatists have already extended their protest shutdown call up to Monday.

Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Thursday visited bereaved families in south Kashmir Anantnag district whose members have been killed in the ongoing violence that has claimed 45 lives.

She also met families members of those who were injured during protests that began on July 9, a day after Hizbul commander Burhan Wani was killed in a gunfight with the security forces.

The authorities had announced opening of schools in four districts of Baramulla, Badgam, Bandipora and Ganderbal on Thursday.

Due to prevailing tension and continuing curfew in these districts, the decision to re-open schools failed to encourage parents to send children to schools.

Encouragingly, no major incident of violence took place anywhere in the Valley.

Mufti also chaired an all-party meeting held in Srinagar. The regional National Conference (NC) boycotted the meeting while the Congress, CPI M and Democratic Party Nationalist (DPN) attended it.

The meeting condemned violence while condoling the killing of people in THE violence.

Separatists had asked people to resume normal activities of life from 2 p.m. onwards for the remaining portion of the day on Thursday.

The authorities enforced curfew more strictly during this period to shoot down the intended message that the separatists were calling all the shots in Kashmir.