Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag on Saturday said 754 persons, mostly military officers, were detained over charges of an attempted military coup in the country. At least 60 people were killed in overnight clashes in Turkey when people took to the streets defying the military to take over the country.
This doubled the figure at 336 announced by sources from the Interior Ministry earlier on Saturday, ‘Hurriyet Daily News’ reported.
Anadolu Agency said the detained were members of the so-called pro-Gulenist terror organisation.
It was believed that there are high-ranking officers among the detained.
English broadcaster CNN Turk said four of them were generals and 29 of them were colonels.
Justice Minister Bozdag informed that state prosecutors in all 81 provinces have already launched investigations over the coup attempt that started on Friday night. He said: “Detentions have mostly taken place in Ankara and Istanbul but there are other detentions in many other places of Turkey.”
According to the state prosecutor, 42 persons were killed in capital Ankara, including 17 policemen.