Amarnath yatra resumes amid curfew, shutdown
Amid curfew and shutdown, Amarnath Yatra resumed on Wednesday as another batch of 2, 500 pilgrims were allowed from Jammu to move to Kashmir Valley late Tuesday evening.
“A batch of 2,500 yatris left Bhagwati Nagar Yatri Niwas in Jammu yesterday (Tuesday) evening for the Valley,” a police official said.
The yatris left in a convoy escorted by the security forces and reached the base camp in the Valley safely, he said.
Officials of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB) said so far over 1,85,000 pilgrims performed this year’s yatra.
“Charri Mubarak (Lord Shiva’s mace) reached Pahalgam base camp yesterday. After the traditional puja at Pahalgam, the Charri Mubarak will move through Chandanwari, Pissu Top, Sheshnag and Panchtarni to finally reach the cave shrine,” he added.
The 48-day-long yatra started on July 2 and will end on August 17, coinciding with Shravan Purnima at Raksha Bandhan Festival. Twelve yatris have died of natural causes.