A senior Bangladesh minister on Sunday said the terrorists who slaughtered 20 hostages at a Dhaka restaurant have no connection with the Islamic Sate. The minister added that they are members of homegrown Bangladeshi militant outfit.
“They are members of the Jamaeytul Mujahdeen Bangladesh,” Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan told AFP, referring to a group which has been banned in Bangladesh for more than a decade.
Earlier, the Islamic State had claimed responsibility of the attack in which Seven gunmen, carrying heavy arms, stormed into the upmarket restaurant popular with expatriates in the diplomatic zone on Friday, before killing 20 foreigners in a coordinated mass killing that experts said marked a level of scale and sophistication not previously seen in Bangladesh.
According to Police Inspector General Shahidul Hoque, all the attackers in the assault on the cafe in Dhaka were Bangladeshi citizens and five of them were wanted by police for their involvement in terror-related cases. Bangladesh Police had tried to arrest these five militants previously, Hoque was quoted as saying by CNN.
According to reports, the terrorists were all aged between 20 and 21 years old and were students of Dhaka’s North South University. The slain terrorists belonged to affluent families and had passed out of top-notch schools in the city like Scholastica and the Turkish International School.