French terror attack: President Hollande extends Emergency by 3 months
Hollande said the truck attack was of a "terrorist character".
French President Francois Hollande on Friday said the state of Emergency was being extended for three months beyond July 26 as 80 people were killed late on Thursday when a large truck mowed through a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in Nice.
Hollande on Friday said the truck attack was of a "terrorist character".
"An attack on the terrorist nature can not be denied," BFMTV quoted Hollande as saying at a press conference.
"We must do everything so that we can fight against the scourge of terrorism," he said. "This is France, which is under the threat of Islamist terrorism."
Over 150 people were also injured in the mayhem.
Hollande on Friday morning will preside over a security and defence council meeting with ministers and the main authorities in these matters, said the spokesperson for the Elysee.
The president on Thursday indicated that the state of Emergency declared immediately after the terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13 last year, would be lifted on July 26.
To fight against terrorism after this new attack, he appealed "to the operational reserve".
At least 130 people were killed and over 250 injured in another major terror attacks in Paris in November last year. The attacks were claimed by the ISIS.