The Islamic State of Syria and Iraq (ISIS) on Saturday claimed responsibility for the terror attack in the French city Nice that killed 84 people.
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the truck driver who carried out the attack was their “soldier,” the ISIS claimed in a statement issued to the news agency Amaq.
The news outlet, which works as a mouth piece of the terror outfit said via its Telegram account: “The person who carried out the operation in Nice, France, to run down people was one of the soldiers of Islamic State.
“He carried out the operation in response to calls to target nationals of states that are part of the coalition fighting Islamic State.”
A terrorist sped a rented truck through a crowd of thousands enjoying Bastille Day celebrations in Nice on Thursday night.
The attack also left over 200 people injured, a third of whom were battling for life.
French President Francois Hollande flew to Nice, met the wounded and said the terrorist struck the crowd “merely to satisfy the cruelty of an individual — and maybe a group”.
Hollande extended the state of Emergency in France for three more months beyond July 26 and called in the reservists. A three-day national mourning began from Saturday.
Besides driving over people, the driver, who was known to police but not to intelligence agencies in France also fired at the crowd.
It was the worst terror attack in France since terrorists struck in Paris in November last year, killing 130 people and injuring over 250.