The teenage gunman who killed nine people in Munich on Friday had been planning his attack for a year, the BBC cited German authorities as saying.
Ali David Sonboly, 18, had bought the Glock pistol and over 300 bullets in the “dark net” market, according to Robert Heimberger, head of Bavaria’s criminal police.
Heimberger told reporters that Sonboly had paid a visit to the town of Winnenden in 2015 where a previous school shooting incident had taken place 2009. Sonboly had also taken pictures of the spot.
It was also revealed in the news conference that the gunman was an expert in playing “first-person shooter” game. He had also spent two months as an inpatient at a mental care facility in 2015. The police officials said that the gunman’s parents were too distraught to be interviewed for information.
Vigils continue in Munich to pay respect to the victims of the ruthless attack. The Bavarian crime office told reporters that victims had not been targeted specifically and were not even the shooter’s classmates. Top German officials have called for a tighter control on sale of guns.
Sonboly killed nine persons in a shooting rampage in a Munich shopping centre on Friday before taking his own life.
He had his victims by pretending to be a teenage girl called “Selina Akim”. He asked them to come to a McDonald’s joint after hacking into a Facebook account. He asked them to be there at 4 p.m., saying: “I will give you something if you want, but not too expensive.”
The German-Iranian teenager, who was obsessed with mass shootings, had an “obvious link” to Norwegian right-wing fanatic Anders Behring Breivik, German police said, the BBC reported.
Breivik murdered 77 persons in Norway on 22 July 2011, killing eight with a bomb in the capital Oslo before shooting dead 69 at a summer camp for young centre-left political activists on the island of Utoeya.
With inputs from Agencies