Saudi officials said, they have arrested 12 Pakistani nationals for their alleged involvement in Monday’s powerful bomb blasts in the holy city of Medina. About 19 terrorists were arrested so far in connection with the blasts, said officials from Interior Ministry.
Pakistan stated, it will start an inquiry to find out if any Pakistani nationals are involved in the Jeddah blast.
The officials also named Naer Muslim Hamad, a 26-year-old Saudi national who blew himself near a mosque, killing four security guards in the incident. The officials revealed the identity of three other terrorists, Abdulrahman al-Omar (23), Ibrahim al-Omar (20) and Abdulkarim al-Husni (20), all Saudi nationals, who carried out suicide attacks in Qatif on the same day of blasts in Medina. None of them had valid Saudi id, added officials.
Another terrorist was killed in Jeddah, while attempting a suicide attack on Monday. The banned outfit Islamic State is suspected to have masterminded the blasts. Earlier, the group had called for “a month of calamity for unbelievers” during the holy Ramadan month, targeting mostly the mosques of minority Shia community.
In his address to the nation, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has said, terrorists will be dealt with ‘an iron fist’ and his government will take all possible steps to root out those corrupting the minds of youth.
Saudi’s crown prince Mohammed bin Nayef bin Abdul-Aziz, who is leading the Islamic state’s fight against terror networks, visited the injured soon after the blasts. He allayed the fears of his people, saying that the state is able to meet any threat and its security mechanism is fool-proof, he was quoted as saying to Al-Arabia TV.
The Islamic countries have denounced the Saudi blasts and the powerful supreme council of clerics said, the attackers have “violated everything that is sacred”.
Meanwhile, death toll crossed more than 340 in suicide car bomb blasts that rocked Iraq’s capital Baghdad, said government sources.