Take a look at the six venomous statements by Zakir Naik
He is a preacher who has a medical degree and speaks in fluent English. His peace conferences are mega shows with opulent-looking stages which can give any Bollywood star-studded show a run for its money.
He is Zakir Naik, the Islamic preacher and the founder of Dubai based Peace TV. He is also the creator of new controversies that can give you a sure shot chill in the spine. His controversial speeches led to him being banned from entering the United Kingdom. He runs the Islamic Research Foundation in Mumbai and is often been accused of being an Islamic supremacist.
Naik claims to have 1.4 crore followers on Facebook, besides 20 crore viewers on Peace TV. Currently in Mecca, the 50-year-old Naik is under media beam after it came to light that two of the killers of the Dhaka massacre — Rohan Imtiaz and Nibras Islam — were allegedly inspired by three preachers, including him. Indian investigation agencies will now be examining his speeches for any potential threat to national security.
Naik is considered one of the most influential Salafi ideologues and his ideas have been severely criticised in India after the Bangladesh terror attack.
Here we bring you 6 controversial statements by the televangelist :
1. Naik believes that the religion of non-muslims(Christians and Hindus) is wrong and their worshipping is wrong. He was quoted as saying, “How can we allow this (building of churches and temples in an Islamic state) when their religion is wrong and their worshiping is wrong.”
2. He supported Osama Bin Laden at a time when the whole world condemned his misdeed. He said, “If Laden is fighting enemies of Islam, I am for him. If he is terrorising America, the biggest terrorist, I am with him. Every Muslim should be a terrorist. The thing is that if he is terrorising the terrorist, he is following Islam.”
3. On girls losing their virginity, he was quoted as, “Girls should not be sent to schools where they lose their virginity by the time they pass out. Schools should be shut down, They should not be allowed to wear gold ornaments.”
4. Naik also commented on tennis star Sania Mirza and said that, “ Sania Mirza should dress modestly while playing. No Indian politician would like to send his daughter to play beach volleyball even if it becomes an international sport.”
5. On homosexuality, the preacher has a completely different version. “LGBT community are patients suffering from a sinful mental problem. It is because they watch pornographic movies. TV channels are to be blamed for.” All you can do is either laugh out or ignore the so called preacher.
6. On one of his shows Naik went to the extent of saying that Muslims have the right to have sex with their female slaves. He said that the version is quoted in the holy book Quran.