Turkey blocks WikiLeaks website after release of ‘Erdogan Emails’
Turkey has blocked access to Wikileaks website after the whistleblower agency on Tuesday released documents relating to the country’s political structure, according to agency reports.
The documents, what it called the ‘Erdogan Emails’ comprises of 500,000 unspecified documents and 300,000 emails.
The organization also said that their servers were attack since their announcement of the leak but were determined to: “Prevail and Publish”, a report said.
According to WikiLeaks, the date of their publication was brought forward “in response to the Turkey government’s post-coup purges.”
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) July 20, 2016
The transparency agency said that the documents had the potential of throwing Turkey into further turmoil.
The emails relating to Mr Erdogan apparently record conversations up until 7 July.
Founded by Julian Assange, WikiLeaks publishes leaked material, mostly from governments. In 2010, the organization published classified US military and diplomatic documents in one of the largest information leaks in US history
Erdogan’s government has detained 6,000 people from across the country after the failed coup attempt on Friday night. Authorities say more arrest may take place.
The government has so far dismissed around 3000 judges as the investigators are preparing court cases to try the conspirators behind the coup attempt.