iPhone 6 users beware! Man suffers burn injuries after his Apple iPhone 6 explodes in pocket
An Australian man got the shock of his life when his iPhone 6 exploded in his pocket when he fell on the phone while cycling. He suffered severe burns on his upper thigh as a result of the explosion. Take a look...
A Brit man in New South Wales got the shock of his life when he was severely burnt after his Apple iPhone 6 exploded in his back pocket while he was mountain biking. It has been reported that he has been forced to undergo skin graft surgery.
Gareth Clear, 36, from Bondi in Australia, was riding around Manly Dam in New South Wales on Sunday when he fell off his bike, landing on his iPhone 6.
Moments later, he noticed smoke and felt a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he had bought just six months ago ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh.
The man was taken to the Royal North Shore Hospital where he was treated for burn injuries and has been advised rest for a week. Reports suggested that it could take "weeks" for full recovery.
"It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded," Clear was quoted as saying.
"I am 36, I have had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end," he added.
After the explosion, the base of the phone looked like "something from a chemical explosion and the top remains perfectly intact", he said.
Da-Wei Wang from the University of New South Wales was quoted as saying that it was not uncommon for lithium ion batteries in mobile phones to overheat, ignite and explode.
According to him, explosion after an impact was most likely caused by a combination of overheating and a faulty design of the phone's structure.
Meanwhile, Clear said Apple told him they would investigate the incident.
An Apple spokesperson, however, declined to comment.