5 bad effects of overeating spinach
Spinach is definitely good for health. But eating more is equally bad..
Spinach is a healthy food and is very rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K. It is a good storehouse of Niacin and Zinc. It has very good content of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Thiamin, etc. However, be wary of overeating spinach as it has some side effects too, that are listed below.
Since spinach is high in oxalic acid (a chemical that combines with iron and calcium) that could cause your body to absorb less of other nutrients. Include vitamin C when you eat spinach or drink a glass of orange juice or tomato whenever you eat spinach since Vitamin C will help your body to absorb calcium and iron better.
Spinach is a rich source of fiber. A cup of cooked spinach contains 6 gm of nutrient. Even though consumption of fiber is good for digestion, our body requires time to get adjusted to it.Also, spinach can cause various kinds of stomach disorders and even gas formation in the abdomen. Other troubles like cramps, bloating and even constipation can occur if consumed more.
It contains high amount of purines, which, when consumed in excessive amount, gets converted to uric acid. This is extremely dangerous for the health of our kidneys as the extra uric acid can increases the action of calcium in our kidneys. As a result, small to medium-sized kidney stones appear. The oxalic acid content is also accountable for this as it gets blended with the calcium of foods and forms calcium oxalate action.
One of the side effects of eating spinach is that your teeth would undergo a slimy or leafy feeling. This is because of the oxalic acids that are found in spinach. This acid includes small crystals that wouldn’t dissolve in water. This is harmless and your teeth will be fine after flossing.
It has been told that spinach could cause toxic reactions as well. When contaminated with escherichia coli or E. coli through organic fertilizers, pesticides or irrigation water, the leafy vegetable could cause certain food poisoning contents that can even result in death.