Thursday, August 25th, 2016

Indian Woman dies in gas explosion in Dubai apartment

Narada Desk | August 25, 2016 7:00 pm Print
Shirin Gandhi, (60), succumbed to her injuries on Thursday morning at Rashid hospital, said her family members

An Indian woman, named Shirin Gandhi, 60 one of the two women injured in yesterday’s gas explosion succumbed to her injuries on Thursday morning.

Reportedly, she died of cardiac arrest at Rashid hospital in the early hours of Thursday, said her family members.
“She had a cardiac arrest and passed away. She had 60 per cent broken bones in her body, she couldn’t handle it.” said her son-in-law Husain Anwarali Lokhandwala.

Her daughter Mariam, 35, is currently recovering in the Rashid hospital. Her situation is reported to be stable, said her family members.

She had sustained injuries on her bones in the powerful blast that had rocked the apartment at Al Khail Gate of Al Quoz.

Neighbours informed the official after hearing the sound of the powerful explosion that devastated the apartment building. Lokhandwala said the hospital staff told him that his wife is is unconscious and hasn’t woken up since the incident.

“She has to stay in hospital for another two months until she recovers,” he told local media. Rescue personnel who rushed to the scene recovered the the couple’s two-month-old baby daughter from the rubble of the blast.

The baby narrowly escaped the blast unhurt, said hospital staff.

Lokhandwala however, denied that the a gas cylinder in his apartment has led to the powerful explosion. He claimed that his gas cylinder was completely safe and he had adhered to safety measures at his home.

“There’s nothing wrong with my cylinder,” he told local media.

Meanwhile, Colonel Ali Al Mutawa, Dubai Civil Defence Head of Operations Department, told the media that , “The explosion happened in a flat at the fifth floor at 11.23am. We evacuated the building after the explosion which destroyed two flats and the side of the building.”

“We returned the residents to the building but those in the fifth floor were moved to temporary accommodation.”