Thursday, August 25th, 2016

Death toll in Italy earthquake rises to 247

Narada Desk | August 25, 2016 8:40 am Print
Dozens more were missing or feared dead from the earthquake and a series of aftershocks that jolted central Italy
Italy Earthquake

The death toll in the Italy earthquake has risen to at least 247 as rescuers continue efforts to find survivors under the rubble, reports BBC.

At least 159 persons have died and hundreds were injured after an earthquake hit central Italy on Wednesday, The Guardian reported, earlier in the day.

The earthquake, magnitude 6.2 and just 10 kilometres deep, struck central Italy at 3.36 am. Dozens more were missing or feared dead from the earthquake and a series of aftershocks that jolted Umbria, Lazio and Le Marche, three regions 80 to 100 miles northeast of Rome.

According to Italy’s Civil Protection agency, at least 53 were killed in the town of Amatrice, and at least 100 people were injured. Other fatalities were reported in the nearby towns of Accumoli and Arquata del Tronto. More than 1,000 people have been displaced by the quake, and the Civil Protection agency said no resident will be allowed to sleep in the devastated town of Amatrice Wednesday night.

“Right now we feel terrible pain,” Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said after touring some of the affected areas. “Italy is a family that has been hit and struck, but we are not going to be stopped.”

Loading...