Simple tricks to know whether you are using FAKE HONEY or not
Most developed countries have banned or regulated strict quality standards for honey. Most of the Indian branded honey makers meet those standards when exporting honey, but resort to dumping their contaminated honey in the Indian market. The potent antibiotics found in commercial honey samples in India are Chloramphenicol, Fluoroquinolones, Tetracyclines, Nitrofurans, Streptomycins and Sulfanomides. These antibiotics are fed to bees to prevent diseases, promote quick growth and increase production numbers to meet commercial targets.
Honey Laundering/Circumvention: Honey has become a staple food in the West. Due to heavy demand, they started importing honey and as with any other case, China started polluting the American honey market with sub-standard honey. In 2001, the US government increased duties to 221% for honey imports from China, to curb this. Unfortunately, a lot of this Chinese honey is coming into India now. Most of the popular brands mix Indian honey with Chinese imported honey to bring down their selling price. Contrary to other products where branded means more expensive, you can get branded honey in India a lot cheaper than pure natural honey.
- Put a small drop of the honey you have on your thumb
- Check to see if it spills or spreads around
- If it does, it is not pure
- Pure honey will stay intact on your thumb
- Fill a glass with water
- Add one tablespoon of honey into the glass
- Adulterated or artificial honey will dissolve in water and you will see it around the glass
- Pure honey on the other hand will settle right at the bottom of your glass
The flame test
- Take a dry matchstick
- Dip its tip right into the honey
- Strike the stick on the matchbox as if to light it
- If the honey is pure, the matchstick will light with ease
- The flame will also keep burning off the honey
- However, if it is with impurities, it will not light because fake honey contains moisture as one of the impurities
)Pure honey would have dark brown color and slightly transparent.
2)When allowed to settle(in a glass bottle) there would be denser part in the base side and lighter part above it, which you can clearly see.
3)If you put one drop pure honey in water it will fall through the water without disperse until reach the bottom.
4)It won't form crystals in ordinary room temperature.
5)When it boils it produces little bit of foam
6)Ants never came for honey, neither they touch honey . But flies may be attracted towards the honey.
7)You cannot drink too much of pure honey.
8)Pure honey never creates cold.
9)If pure honey is taken in too much quantity , it may kill the person