Storm Nida to make landfall in China, Hong Kong flights cancelled

At least 9,000 persons were displaced when tropical storm Nida, also called Carina, hit the Philippines on Monday. It will hit China and Hong Kong.

The Nida storm is expected to make a landfall in cities of China and Hong Kong. Authorities have urged people to store food for at least three days.

southern China has been badly hit as powerful winds having 130km/h lashed across its cities. Guangzhou city has issued a red-alert anticipating the typhoon.

Hong Kong, the buzzing commercial city has witnessed a  shut down due to the gushes, reported media.

More than 150 flights are cancelled today,  said the the Airport Authority. Cathay Pacific and Dragonair have announced that they flights would stop operations, until 2pm (1600 AEST) at the earliest.

“I came here at 6am but the counters have closed… there have been no notifications at all,” one passenger bound for Australia said.”


Most of the flight services from Hong Kong remain cancelled.

At least 9,000 persons were displaced when tropical storm Nida, also called Carina, hit the Philippines on Monday, the state disaster management agency said.

The 1,976 families or 8,809 individuals who were affected by the weather disturbance came from four regions, mostly in northern part of the country, Xinhua news agency quoted the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) as saying.

Of those affected, over 500 persons were being served in 13 evacuation centres. Classes in some schools in at least 10 provinces in north Philippines were suspended. Since Sunday, 40 domestic and international flights were cancelled due to bad weather.

Nida left the country before noon on Monday and had no direct effect on any part of the Philippines, the state weather forecasting agency said.

In 2013, Philippines was hit by Typhoon Haiyan also known as Super Typhoon Yolanda. Known to be one of the strongest tropical cyclones to be recorded in the region, the storm devastated parts of Southeast Asia, but mainly Philippines, on November 8.

The typhoon killed 6,300 people in the country alone. Some of the dead bodies from the storm were recovered the next year in January 2014. Moving at 315 km/h (195 mph), the eye of the cyclone had made its first landfall at Guiuan, eastern Samar in the Philippines.