22 killed in hospital fire in Odisha
Hospital authorities said the mishap occurred due to electric short-circuit
At least 23 people were killed in a devastating fire that broke out at Sum Hospital in the Khandagiri area of Bhubaneswar in Odisha on Monday, a news agency has reported.
Doctors at two local hospitals told the news agency that 22 people were dead on arrival at their facilities. They said over 20 people were being treated for injuries. According to several reports, the death toll is likely to rise.
According to reports, the fire broke out in the dialysis intensive care unit (ICU) located on the first floor of the hospital at around 6.30 pm. The hospital authorities said the mishap occurred due to electric short-circuit.
As per hospital Deputy Superitendent Basant Pati, all patients from ICU had been shifted and all patients on ventilator in ICU and OT of Dialysis department were safe.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered his condolences to the victims on Twitter. He called the tragedy "mind numbing."