At Charity Dinner Roast, While Clinton’s Remarks Singed, Trump’s Burned
At a Catholic charity dinner that is usually a moment of bipartisan good cheer in the US presidential race, Republican candidate Donald Trump lost one more opportunity to take some of the heat off his campaign by taking down rival Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in a rough manner.
Clinton’s remarks, too, largely lacked the self-deprecating humor that is typical at the Al Smith dinner, which benefits Catholic charities and is often one of the final opportunities for presidential candidates to share a stage before the election, CNN reported.
Instead of a ‘light-heated’ roast, Trump again ended up called Clinton names like Catholic-hating, “so corrupt” and potentially jail-bound in a prospective Trump administration, that prompted cascading and uncomfortable jeers and booing from a crowd full of white ties and gowns.
Here are Donald Trump’s most memorable quotes at Al Smith dinner:
- I wasn’t really sure if Hillary was going to be here tonight because, I guess, you didn’t send her invitation by email. Or maybe you did, and she just found out about it through the wonder of WikiLeaks
- We’ve learned so much from WikiLeaks. For example, Hillary believes that it is vital to deceive the people by having one public policy and a totally different policy in private.
- Just before taking the dais, Hillary accidentally bumped into me. And she very civilly said, ‘Pardon me’. I very politely replied, ‘Let me talk to you about that after I get into office.’
- I don’t know who they’re angry at, Hillary, you or I. For example, here she is tonight, in public, pretending not to hate Catholics.
- Michelle Obama gives a speech and everyone loves it, it’s fantastic. They think she’s absolutely great. My wife Melania gives the exact same speech and people get on her case.
- This is the first time that Hillary is sitting down and speaking to major corporate donors and not getting paid for it.
Clinton, too, made a more direct political attack on Trump, at an event that typically features light-hearted roasting:
- Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a 4 — maybe a 5 if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair. “You know what would be a good number for a woman? 45
- Donald really is as healthy as a horse — you know, the one Vladimir Putin rides around on.
- How is Barack going to get past the Muslim ban?
- Of his inability to stick to teleprompters, Clinton quipped: “I’m sure it’s even harder when you’re translating from the original Russian.
- I am so flattered that Donald thought I use some sort of performance enhancer. Actually I did – it’s called preparation.