BSF jawan killed, three others injured as Pakistan violates ceasefire

The deceased head constable has been identified as Sushil Kumar of Pahova in Kurukshetra district of Haryana and the injured ASI as R D Puri

In yet another attack by Pakistani forces, a Border Security Force head constable was killed and an Assistant Sub Inspector was among the three injured as Pakistani Rangers resorted to heavy mortar shelling along the International Border from Suchetgarh sector in R S Pura to Pargwal in Akhnoor sector.

The incident happened during the early hours of Monday morning, The Indian Express reports. According to official sources, the deceased head constable has been identified as Sushil Kumar of Pahova in Kurukshetra district of Haryana and the injured ASI as R D Puri, reports the English newspaper.

The report said that the shelling was still ongoing, while  two women were also injured in the Pakistani shelling in Akhnoor. The two woman were identified as as Parkasho Devi of Gajanso and Krishna Devi of Treva.

Border Security Forces has been retaliating at all the places. Over two dozen BSF posts were affected in a fresh spate of intense mortar shelling from across the border after a lull of two-three hours, sources said. The shelling is so intense that it is audible even in areas situated nearly 20 kms away from the International Border.

Damage to civilian property and death of cattle were also reported, but the details have not been confirmed by officials. Largely, people have remained indoors, waiting for the shelling to stop.

On Sunday evening, after a lull of nearly 48 hours, Pakistani Rangers had violated ceasefire by resorting to two-three small bursts of fire between duty points at 6.20 pm. “No border petrol vehicle was targeted,” an official spokesperson had said.

The latest ceasefire by Pakistan has come more than 12 hours after Additional Director General of BSF Arun Kumar warned Pakistan that it will have to pay a heavy price if it tried to even touch any of its personnel. In this context, he referred to the killing of seven Pakistani Rangers during a BSF retaliation to their sniper fire killing sepoy Gurnam Singh on Friday morning.