Day 91: Curfew in Srinagar after 13-yr-old boy succumbs to pellet injuries

Security forces fired teargas shells as people marched with his body towards a burial ground near the city's Eidgah, a large ground for prayers during Eid
Kashmir violence, curfew

Fresh tension ensued in Srinagar on Saturday after a 13-year-old boy succumbed to head injuries sustained during pellet firing, in the wee hours and protesters took to the street following his death. The authorities imposed curfew as a precautionary measure on seven police station areas of Srinagar city.

On Friday, Junaid Ahmad Bhat of Saidpora was grievously injured after the security forces opened pellet firing at a mob, following which he was immediately rushed to Sher-e- Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) in Soura, where he succumbed to his injuries early on Saturday.

As per HT report, the police claimed Junaid Ahmad to be 13 years old, while his family insisted he was 11.

On Friday, the authorities had imposed curfew in many parts of Srinagar, including Khanyar, Rainawari, Nowhatta, Safakadal, Maharaj Gunj, Maisuma and Batamaloo, to prevent a protest march called by separatists towards the United Nations’ office in the city.

“The restrictions were also imposed in Sonwar to prevent people from marching towards the UN office,” said a police official. Vehicular and pedestrian movement towards the UN office in Sonwar were also restricted.

“Since we believe and understand that Kashmir dispute remains at the centre of the regional conflict, we appeal you to challenge the behaviour of the Indian State in Jammu Kashmir and urge it to stop this reign of terror. In the interests of regional peace and global justice, we once again implore you to intervene and prevail upon the Indian state to shun violence and initiate processes for granting universally recognised Right to Self Determination to the people of Jammu and Kashmir,” read the memorandum by the protesters.

Many people took to the streets in protest against Junaid’s death after his body was brought to his home, raising slogans against the government.

Media reports said security forces fired teargas shells as people marched with his body towards a burial ground near the city’s Eidgah, a large ground for prayers during Eid.

Normal life has been affected badly in Jammu and Kashmir since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8. The unrest has claimed as many as 83 lives and left thousands injured in clashes between protesters and security forces.