Curfew lifted across Kashmir Valley; restriction remains

Authorities, however, imposed restrictions on the assembly of people under Section 144 CrPc throughout the Valley

In  view of the improvement in the situation, authorities have lifted curfew from across Kashmir, however, normal life remained affected due to the unrest which erupted after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani three months ago in July.

According to police official, there is no curfew anywhere in Kashmir and the curbs on the movement of people have been lifted across the Valley, including from the summer capital here, following improvement in the situation.

Authorities, however, imposed restrictions on the assembly of people under Section 144 CrPc throughout the Valley.

A police official  said security forces have been deployed in sensitive areas to maintain law and order as also to instill a sense of security among the people so that they can carry out their day-to-day activities without fear.

The authorities last night restored outgoing call facility on prepaid mobile phone connections after three months in view of the improving situation. Ban on mobile internet, however, continued to remain suspended across Kashmir.

Normal life remained affected in the Valley for almost 100 days due to the ongoing unrest due to frequent clash and protest rally.

The unrest, which has claimed 84 lives, including that of two cops, and left thousands of others injured in clashes between protestors and security forces, would complete 100 days tomorrow as shops, business establishments, petrol pumps and educational institutions remained closed, while public transport continued to be off the roads.

However, there was increased movement of private transport and auto-rickshaws in the civil lines areas of the city including around the commercial hub of Lal Chowk.

Media reports said many vendors set up their stalls in the areas around the city centre while some shops were also open partially, the official said.

On Friday, Jammu and Kashmir authorities on Friday imposed curfew-like restriction in Srinagar and other parts of Kashmir Valley in view of the separatist-called protest march.

In order to foil the sit-in and protest march, contingents of police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in full riot gear were deployed in both uptown and old city areas of Srinagar to impose curfew-like restrictions.