Kashmir unrest enters 100th day, Protests extended till Oct 20

In the last three months, the turmoil in Kashmir has left 91 people dead and more than 12,000 civilians injured
File : Protestors clash with police in Srinager

The ongoing unrest in Kashmir, which erupted after the death of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani, completed 100 days on Sunday.

Following the death of Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces in south Kashmir on July 8, the valley has witnessed a continuous shutdown in the region.

The clash between protesters and forces has affected the public life badly as shops, petrol pumbs and educational institutions remained closed most of the days.

In view of the improvement in the situation, authorities have on Saturday lifted curfew from the Valley, however restrictions under Section 144 CrPc remain throughout the region.

In the last three months, the turmoil in Kashmir has left 91 people dead and more than 12,000 civilians injured. Media reports revealed that two security personnel have also been killed while hundreds are injured.

In the latest development, the authorities restored outgoing call facility on prepaid mobile phone connections after three months, while ban on mobile internet, however, continued to remain suspended across Kashmir.

However, the separatist groups have extended the strike up to 20 October and also announced daily relaxation from 5pm to 7am.

A police official said security forces have been deployed in sensitive areas to maintain law and order as also to make a sense of security among the people so that they can carry out their day-to-day activities without fear.

Media reports said many vendors set up their stalls in the valley after the curfew lifted in the area.

Meanwhile, Pakistan expressed its grave concern” on the unrest in the Valley and called on the international community to pay attention to end what it called a “constantly deteriorating humanitarian situation.”

According to media reports, the Foreign Office said that Pakistan calls “for attention of the International Community, particularly, the UN Secretary General, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Secretary General OIC, and Permanent Members of UNSC for taking immediate measures” to resolve the crisis.