LoC crossed earlier too, but it was different this time: Centre to Parliamentary panel
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar gave this information to the Parliamentary Committee on External Affairs when he was specifically asked by MPs whether surgical strikes have been done in the past
The strikes carried out by the Army on September 28 were not the first, the Army carried out “limited-calibre, target-specific, counter-terrorist operations” across the Line of Control in the past too but were not made public, the government on Tuesday told a parliamentary panel on external affairs.
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar gave this information to the Parliamentary Committee on External Affairs when he was specifically asked by MPs whether surgical strikes have been done in the past, DNA has reported.
The panel was led by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor and included party Vice President Rahul Gandhi. Other members questioned the government on whether more such strikes had been planned, to which the government responded that “the strikes had served their purpose for now”, Indian Express has reported.
According to the report, responding to a question by Congress's Satyavrat Chaturvedi, foreign secretary S Jaishankar told members of Parliament's standing committee on external affairs that the "surgical strikes"carried out by the Army in the wake of the Uri terror attack differed in nature from the operations the Army had undertaken earlier on the other side of LoC.
After the attack on an army base camp in Uri on September 29, the government and Army had announced that they had launched "surgical strikes" on "terror launchpads" along the LoC. However, there has been some controversy around the strikes, with Pakistan refusing to acknowledge that they were anything more than regulation cross-border firing. While as the opposition has asked for a proof of the strikes and have accused the government of using the strikes as a poll plank