A Parliamentary panel was told on Tuesday that the army had carried out “target specific, limited-calibre, counter-terrorist operations” across the LoC in the past too but this is for the first time the government has gone public about it, a remarks that appear to contradict the Defence Minister’s claim that no surgical strikes were carried out during UPA regime.
On asked whether surgical strikes was carried out in the past,Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar gave the information to the Parliamentary Committee on External Affairs.
Jaishankar was specifically asked by MPs about past surgical strikes. According to a report in PTI, one of their source said, “Professionally done, target-specific, limited calibre counter-terrorist operations” have been carried out across the LoC in the past too, but this is for the first time that the government has made it public.”
The news agency referred the source to be present in the meeting. The top diplomat’s statement assume significance in the context of claims by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar’s claims last week rejecting Congress’s claims that surgical strikes were undertaken during the UPA government too.
Parrikar had asserted that it was the first time that surgical strikes had taken place in the aftermath of the Uri terror attack and what was undertaken previously were operations locally executed by commanders without involving the government.
Jaishankar also told the Committee that while India has been engaging with Pakistan post the 29 September surgical strikes, but no “calendar” has so far been prepared regarding future engagement and its level with Islamabad, members said on condition of anonymity
He said soon after the operations had ended, the Director General Military Operations of the Pakistan Army was informed about the strikes.
During the two-and-a-half-hour meeting, Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Bipin Rawat also gave details of the strikes targeting terrorist launch pads across the LoC, the report said.