In another major blow to the Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump, the most senior elected US Republican official Paul Ryan on Monday said he will not either defend Trump or campaign for him.
Talking to his congressional colleagues on a conference call, said that as the speaker of the House, he would instead use the next 29 days to focus on preserving his party’s hold on Congress.
He also argued that the Republican legislators “to do what’s best for you” to save the party’s majority and avoid giving rival Clinton a blank check in the White House, media reports revealed.
However, Ryan stressed that he was not yet formally unendorsing Trump. According to reports, the speaker is expected to campaign in 17 states and 42 cities this month.
Responding to Ryan on Twitter, Trump said that the speaker should focus on other policy areas instead of fighting with the Republican nominee.
“Paul Ryan should spend more time on balancing the budget, jobs and illegal immigration and not waste his time on fighting Republican nominee,” Trump tweeted.
After the second Presidential debate held on Sunday, many critics of Trump now believe that the controversial and offensive statements made by him in the recent past have reduced his chances of winning presidential election.
Trump was reportedly in defence mode last week as tax and sexual allegations started coming in. The Washington Post had recently published a 2005 video clip in which the Republican candidate brags about groping women without their consent.
A week ago, a report published in The New York Times had revealed that Trump may have escaped from paying federal income tax legally in the US for up to 18 years after claiming a huge loss in his tax returns.
According to a CNN poll, 57% of respondents felt Clinton had won the second debate, while a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll said Clinton leading a two-way race against Donald Trump 52 to 38, and a four-way battle, 46 to 35, media reports stated.