×

One year on since Paris attacks, state of emergency may continue in France

French Prime minister Manual Valls has said that France's state of emergency imposed after last year's Paris attack will likely to be extended.France marked exactly one year on November 13 of jihadist attacks that left 130 people dead

French Prime Minister Manual Valls has said that France’s state of emergency imposed after last year’s Paris attack will likely to be extended. France marked exactly one year on November 13 of jihadist attacks that left 130 people dead.

“It is difficult today to end the state of emergency,” Valls told BBC television as France gears up for the presidential elections in 2017 April and May.

“Especially since we are going to begin a presidential campaign in a few weeks with meetings, with public gatherings. So we must also protect our democracy,” Valls added.

“Besides, this state of the emergency device allows us to make arrests, administrative checks which are effective… So yes, we are probably going to live a few months more with this state of emergency.”

“But we may face attacks of the kind that we saw in Nice,” he said, referring to the July attack in the Riviera resort in which a 31-year-old Tunisian trimmed down 86 people in a truck.

“We can always change a treaty, but if tomorrow we were saying that there was no agreement, that there was no longer a treaty, and that the border was open, there would be thousands and thousands of people who would converge on Britain, that would be a drama in the Channel and a major problem for Britain,” he said.

The comments made after the demolition of notorious Jungle migrant camp in Calais, where thousands of people are living with the hopes to migrate to Britain.

Top