Intense bombing in Syria’s Aleppo kills 20
At least 20 people were killed in the government bombardment of rebel-held neighbourhoods in the Syrian city of Aleppo on Saturday. The attack is the worst since airstrikes against the Islamic State resumed earlier this week.
The US has called for an end to the bombings. Saturday was the fifth day of the attack by Syrian warplanes on eastern Aleppo districts. The rebel-held Aleppo, which has a population of around 275,000 people, has been under onslaught since Tuesday, when Syria’s ally Russia announced its own offensive.
The air strikes on Saturday came a day after the bombing that hit four hospitals in east Aleppo. The Syrian city’s health directorate has said that the destruction of infrastructure has left people, including all children and elderly men and women, without any health facilities offering life-saving treatment.
Nurses and other medical staff were seen scrambling through the blackness, trying to rush the patients out of the badly damaged hospital as children cried out for help, reported Al Jazeera.
The White House has demanded an immediate halt to Syrian strikes on eastern Aleppo and condemned the “horrific attacks” against hospitals and aid workers. The White House is putting pressure on Russia to lower the violence and help humanitarian aid get to besieged Syrians.
The latest deaths raise to more than 130 the number of people killed in northern Syria since Tuesday. Residents said hundreds of artillery shells and dozens of airstrikes have hit the city, increasing the misery of its residents who have been suffering from lack of food and medicine.
Reports say four hospitals in eastern Aleppo have been bombed in a 48-hour period. A video uploaded to a social media website purports to show children being rescued from the rubble of damaged buildings by the volunteer group known as the White Helmets.