Malappuram Blast: Seized pendrive has photos of PM Modi, threats for explosion
In the latest development in case of low-intensity IED blast on the premises of the judicial magistrate’s court in Malappuram in Kerala, officials investigating the case have seized a threat letter warning of another blast and avenging of Dadri beef victim Mohammed Akhlaq’s murder. A pendrive containing photographs of PM Modi and videos of Babri Masjid demolition was also recovered from the scene.
A bomb blast from under a car parked near the Judicial First Class Magistrate Court within the Civil Station compound shook the Malappuram Collectorate complex on November 1 afternoon. Three cars were damaged in the blast; no one was injured.
According to reports, apart from a few batteries and wires, the police recovered a paper box, a pen drive and a printed paper ascribing the blast to the Base Movement. It has been reported that the pen drive also contained threats against important places in the country including Red Fort and the Parliament.
Later on, it was found that the pendrive contained photos of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several other politicians, perhaps suggesting that they are on the hit list of the ‘Base Movement’, another name for Al Ummah. The pendrive also had videos of Babri Masjid demolition, Gujarat riots, photographs of Mumbai blast convict Yakub Memon and Dadri mob lynching victim Akhlaq.
Investigating agencies are said to believe that the Tamil Nadu-based terror outfit “Al-Ummah”, which came into existence just after Babri Masjid demolition, may be behind these blasts.
It also contains the message that the “Base Movement” is determined to carry out more such attacks on courts in Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu, the reports added.
Al Ummah had earlier tried to kill BJP Leader LK Advani in 1998 in Coimbatore. The ‘Base Movement’ has threatened that there will be another blast. It is to be noted that these low to medium-intensity blasts carried out this year on court premises and some of the incidents have resulted in minor injuries but there have been no major casualties. It must be remembered that the same kind of blasts occurred in Chittur, Mysore, Kollam in recent times were carried out by the same group, which had issued similar threats at those times.
Thrissur range Inspector-General M R Ajith Kumar said there are indications that the group would strike again.
Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan said in a report that the blast was an effort to harm peaceful atmosphere of the state. “Only a comprehensive probe will bring clarity on reasons behind the explosion,” he said.