Nine hours after India upped the ante by opening up huge artillery barrage on Wednesday morning (9AM IST), Pakistani is believed to have sued for peace. According to military sources, radio intercepts reveal that Pakistani side suffered huge ‘punishment.’ The Indian Army had vowed ‘heavy retribution’ for the mutilation of the body of its soldier killed on Tuesday.
Military sources said Pakistan’s “despair has become more tragic because it has lost more than 80 soldiers between October 3 and November 23. Radio intercepts reveal the number of their injured soldiers over 110. Further, the gun battle has killed 100 Pakistani civilians and injured over 130.”
According to a Defence Ministry press release issued late in the evening, the Pakistani side requested this evening for talks between the Director-General of Military Operations (DGMO) of the two countries following the escalation of firing across the LoC. This request is said to have been made during an unscheduled hotline interaction between the two DGMOs at 6.30 PM on Wednesday.
The press release said Lt. Gen. Ranbir Singh spoke to his Pakistani counterpart. He was briefed by the Pakistani side on civilian casualties due to Indian firing. The Indian DGMO has emphatically stated that retaliatory firing was carried out targeting locations from where Pakistan had initiated ceasefire violation.
Lt. Gen. Singh had also brought the unethical mutilation of Indian jawans, cross-border infiltration, and casualties caused on the Indian side due to firing from Pakistan, during the telephonic conversation.
On Wednesday morning 9 AM, the Indian Army launched a massive artillery fire across the Kel sector and downwards – a day after three jawans were killed and a soldier’s body was mutilated by terrorists in Machhal sector on the Line of Control (LoC),
The three soldiers of a counter-infiltration patrol party were ambushed and killed by terrorists in Machhal sector who had infiltrated along the LoC on Tuesday. One of the soldier’s body was mutilated by the terrorists who escaped under cover fire by the Pakistan Army. Following the incident, Army’s Northern Command had warned in a tweet that “retribution will be heavy for this cowardly act.”
As the attack unfolded, Pakistan’s Inter Services Public Relations claimed that Indian troops targeted a civil bus near the Neelam valley close to the LoC in which four were killed while seven were injured. “A Civil bus has been targeted near Dhudnial,” ISPR said. Further, Pakistani media reports stated that there were more casualties due to shelling by India.
Dawn reported 10 killed and four injured. These charges were quickly denied by Indian Army sources who said they “specifically targeted” Pakistan Army posts. A similar cycle of events unfolded in the same sector last month. On October 29, Sepoy Mandeep Singh was killed in Machhal sector and his body was mutilated by a terrorist, who fled across the LoC after the act. The Army had warned that the “despicable act” would invite an “appropriate response” and the next day claimed to have destroyed four Pakistani posts in Keran sector along the LoC and “inflicted heavy casualties” in a massive fire assault.