13 killed in Turkey car bombing

The government has imposed a temporary black-out on coverage of the explosion.

13 killed in Turkey car bombing

In the second of such attack, 13 turkish soldiers were killed and wounded 55 more in a car bombing targetting off-duty conscripts being taken by bus on a weekend shopping trip in Kayseri.


According to the reports, 55 soldiers were wounded in Saturday's attack in the central Anatolian of Kayseri. The toll might rise due to civilian casualities.


Television reports show that the bus had been reduced to a smouldering wreck by the impact of the blast, as wounded were taken to waiting ambulances.





This explosion comes a week after 44 people were killed on December 10 in a double bombing in Istanbul after a football match. The attack was claimed by Kurdish militants.

Veysi Kaynak, Deputy Prime Minister said in televised comments that the attack in Kayseri was "unfortunately similar" to last weekend's strikes in Istanbul.

The army told media that the bus, carrying low-ranking privates and non-commissioned officers, was attacked after leaving the commando headquarters in the city.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been informed of the attack by the chief of staff General Hulusi Akar, reports said.

BBC reported that regional governor Suleyman Kamci said that the Kayseri attack was carried out by a suicide bomber parked next to the bus.

The government has imposed a temporary black-out on coverage of the explosion.

The instruction from the prime minister's office urged the media to refrain from publishing anything that may cause "fear in the public, panic and disorder and which may serve the aims of terrorist organizations", the Associated Press reported.

It is to be noted, Turkey has seen a spate of deadly bombings in a bloody 2016 blamed both on jihadists and Kurdish militants that have left dozens dead and put the country on daily alert.

Earlier in the year, in June 47 people were killed in a a triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport, with authorities blaming the Islamic State group. Later in August, another 57 people including 34 children were killed in a suicide attack by an IS-linked bomber at a Kurdish wedding in the southeastern city of Gaziantep.

Kurdish militants have twice struck with bombings that killed dozens in Ankara in February and March. The attacks have come with the civil war still raging in neighbouring Syria, where Turkey is staging its own incursion to force jihadists and Kurdish militia from the border area.





Story by