15-yr-old boy dies as mobile phone catches fire in Tamil Nadu

According to police, the cellphone might have burst into flames due to interference of electromagnetic radiations of the device with that of the high tension power lines

15-yr-old boy dies as mobile phone catches fire in Tamil Nadu

A 15-year-old boy from Bengaluru has had a tragic death at his relative’s house at Vanur in Villipuram district of Tamil Nadu after his mobile phone burst into flames while he was talking over it.

Former IAF medical assistant M Rajesh, his wife R Lalitha, a software engineer in Bengaluru; and their only son and victim R Abilesh, a Class 10 student at Kendriya Vidyalaya, had reached his brother-in-law's house at Vanur on December 23 to celebrate Christmas and New Year,

a report in The Times of India stated.

Around 2 pm on December 25, Abilesh went up the terrace and was talking to someone on his cellphone when the gadget accidentally caught fire.

While he tried to throw the phone away, it fell into his shirt, which caught fire instantly. The fire engulfed him from neck to thighs, inflicting severe burn injuries on him.

His parents and relatives reportedly rushed him to Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (Jipmer), where he succumbed to the burn injuries on Thursday.

The Auroville police registered a case under Section 174 (police to inquire and report on suspicious death) of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and launched a detailed probe.

The police said high tension electric power lines pass over the terrace of the house. The cellphone might have burst into flames due to interference of electromagnetic radiations of the device with that of the high tension power lines, they said.