Aleppo back under Assad's control after 4 years of fighting

Some 35,000 fighters and civilians have been taken out of the rebel-held area, according to the United Nations. The United Nations said it had deployed observers to monitor the final evacuations, under a Security Council resolution adopted on Monday

Aleppo back under Assad

The Syrian army announced on Thursday that it has taken full control country's second city Aleppo from rebel fighters, marking the Bashar-Ul-Assad government's biggest victory in the nearly six-year civil war.

The statement broadcast on Syrian TV said: "Thanks to the blood of our heroic martyrs, the heroic deeds and sacrifices of our armed forces and the allied forces, and the steadfastness of our people, the General Command of the Army and the Armed Forces announces the return of security and stability to Aleppo," an army general said in the statement.


The army statement  further said the victory in Aleppo is a "strategic transformation and a turning point in the war on terrorism and a deadly blow to the terrorist project and its supporters."

Earlier, the Red Cross said that more than 4000 fighters had left rebel-held areas of the city in the “last stages” of the evacuation. The evacuations were set in motion last week after an agreement was brokered by Russia, which launched air strikes in support of Bashar al-Assad’s regime last year, and Turkey, which has supported some rebel groups.

Some 35,000 fighters and civilians have been taken out of the rebel-held area, according to the United Nations. The United Nations said it had deployed observers to monitor the final evacuations, under a Security Council resolution adopted on Monday.