NIA to investigate Nagrota army base terror attack
The national Investigation Agency (NIA) Wednesday took over the investigation into the Nagrota terror attack on an army base in Nagrota in Jammu and Kashmir, in which seven Indian soldiers, including two officers, were killed.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) Wednesday took over the investigation into the Nagrota terror attack on an army base in Nagrota in Jammu and Kashmir, in which seven Indian soldiers, including two officers, were killed.
Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) handed over probe of Nagrota terror attack to NIA. A team of officers of the NIA are reaching Jammu to visit the crime scene and begin the probe.
The case has been filed for offences under sections 120B, 121, 307 of the Ranbir Penal Code or RPC and sections 7, 27 of the Arms Act, 1958.
The case was earlier filed at the Nagrota Police Station against unidentified terrorists, who had entered the army camp near the Baleeni Bridge.
"The case at the Nagrota Police Station was registered on the basis of information received at the police station that on November 29, some heavily armed unknown terrorists, on the directions of their foreign handlers, had entered into the Army Camp at Nagrota, near the Baleeni Bridge and started indiscriminate firing on the army personnel with the intention to kill them," the NIA said in a statement.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police had also registered a case in the matter earlier. The CID wing of the police will hand over all the evidence collected so far to the NIA.
Media reports had previously said that the Indian Army was unwilling to hand over the probe to the NIA asking the agency to produce a "specific brief." The army also made it clear that it would investigate the "operational and tactical aspects."