Akhilesh Ahead! Nine points in his favour
Whatever happens, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav stands to gain on several fronts. Here are some points explaining why
The Samajwadi Party is looking to be heading for a split unless there is a Hand of God which cannot be ruled out in dynastic parties that can enjoy or suffer the pangs of inner voices.
Whatever happens, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav stands to gain on several fronts. Here are some points explaining why:
1) Given the cloak and dagger of heartland politics, Akhilesh has established himself to be a leader with a clean image, as the rump SP can be blamed for corruption and other systemic ills.
2) He has come forward as a fighter and a pro-development leader.
3) Most Samajwadi Party leaders are with Akhilesh Yadav, these include district presidents, MLAs and MPs.
4) Even if Akhilesh fails to get the cycle as a symbol, he will still be accepted as a strong leader in the coming election. Further if he contests with the Congress and the Rashtriya Lok Dal of Ajit Singh, he will be the CM candidate, adding to his leadership quotient.
5) Akhilesh has succeeded in declaring himself the true successor to Mulayam Singh Yadav whom he has painted into a corner.
6) Most members of the Yadav family are with Akhilesh with near unanimous support for his sidelining Shivpal.
7) The direct action against Amar Singh shows that Akhilesh can do anything for his party.
8) Akhilesh has prepared himself for 2019. Though far-fetched, anti-BJP parties can come under his leadership. BSP chief Mayawati may not have agreed to such a front if Mulayam Singh had proposed it but it is to be seen if she or Nitish Kumar are okay with such an arrangement.
9) Akhilesh will have to consciously expand his base beyond the family borough of Mainpuri and Etawah. There is already talk that he may contest from Bundelkhand.