Budget Session 2017: Government is committed to inclusive developments of minority communities, says President Mukherjee
Budget 2017 will be a challenging task for the finance minister as he will be presenting the Budget less three months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi's demonetisation drive.
While addressing the joint session of parliament, as a customary in the budget session which begins Tuesday, President Pranab Mukherjee remarked that the government is committed to inclusive development of minority communities.
In his speech, President Mukherjee highlighted the steps that the Modi-led NDA government took to help the common man. President also stated that demonetisation was a bold decision in favour of poor.
In "the historic budget session", Pranab Mukherjee mentioned the schemes and policies which have implemented by the government.
Budget 2017 is the first Union Budget which will be presented by finance minister Arun Jaitley on February 1 instead of the usual February 28. Also, this is for the first time, there will be no separate Rail Budget from this financial year.
Throughout his speech, President has praised the government saying "My government is guided by the Antyodaya philosophy of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya Financial inclusion is key to poverty alleviation" and "At the core of all my government's policies is the welfare of the poor, dalit, downtrodden, deprived, farmers, labourers and the young people."
President mentioned the unprecedented 26 crore plus Jan Dhan accounts which have been opened for the unfunded and he also mentioned the Indian Postal Payment Bank which is termed as the doorstep of the poor and the unbanked to the banking system.
President stated that "Pradhan Mantri Jal Avaas and Ujjwala Yojnas provides clean water, free gas connections and smoke-free kitchens and 37 percent of the Ujjwala beneficiaries belong to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes". Mission Indradhanush commits to vaccinate "every child everywhere" against preventable diseases. It has helped 55 lakh children, he added.
When the farmers across the country are facing challenges due to the agrarian crisis, President in his speech said that his government had taken various steps for the improvement of farmers. "3 crore Kisan or farmer cards will be converted to rupee debit cards", he added.
Pranab Mukherjee also made certain remarks on women empowerment and policies. "The PM Surakshit Matriti Abhiyaan will provide important healthcare and ensure maternity leaves at workplaces".
The other remarkable points from his speech are:
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana expanded the ambit of risk coverage, doubled sum insured & facilitated lowest-ever premium.
- There have been more admissions in IITs
- Government has announced a package of 6,000 crores and is expected to generate over 1 crore jobs, mostly for women
- Minimum wages increased by 42 percent in agricultural and non-sectors
- 100 of 300 districts will be developed in tribal areas
- The success of India blind cricket team and success at Paralympics shows what divyangs can achieve given the opportunity. My government is committed to their development
- Like the strings of sitar which play different notes but together play a beautiful melody - different religions
- My government is committed to inclusive developments of minority communities. Fellowships have ensured better education.
- 2,500 km of national gas pipeline project - investment of 12,500 crores
- This will cover 40 districts, help in the industrialisation of more than 20 cities.
- My government sees the northeast as Lakshmi as the centre of India's prosperity. Development of Northeast leads to south-east Asia. We are opening roads.
- My Government has started the Pradhan Mantri Urja Ganga.Railways are expanding in northeast
- Government has approved North East BPO promotion scheme for creation of employment opportunities
- ISRO added another feather to their cap by launching 20 satellites in one go. India launched 8 operational missions covering meteorological, navigation, earth observation and communication satellites
- My government has taken giant steps in clean energy be achieving 40 gigs against the target of 100 gigs.
- We gave a major boost to urban infrastructure by approving 50,000 crores plan for 500 cities.
- My government's very first decision was to set up an SIT on black money
- Amendments in Benami act and in treaties with countries like Singapore and change in IT act have ensured policy backed initiatives
- The launch of mobile app BHIM is a tribute to Babasaheb Ambedkar. In a few days, it has become one of the most famous app based transactions mechanism in India.
- Coal blocks and spectrum auction is the most transparent way of allocating natural resources
- Over 1,100 obsolete laws have been repealed, over 400 are being repealed.
- Taking forward the concept of cooperative federalism throughout one country one tax, both houses passed the GST in parliament in a record 23 days.
- My government thinks the GST council for working to resolve standing issues
- Current account deficit and fiscal deficits have continuously reduced since 2004. FDI has increased constantly
- FDI this year has been the highest for any government.
- My government is closely working with states to identify problems for businesses
- India is ranked 3rd in list of top host economies in the world investment report
- India has been facing the grave challenge of terrorism in the last 4 decades. It poses the greatest threat. India will work with other countries to combat terrorism. My government will work to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.
- Jammu and Kashmir has been affected by infiltration and terrorism. Loss of likes of security personnel has been a cause of grave concern
- Steps have been taken to curb left-wing terrorism
- My government is committed to the path of peace and progress