Coal block allocation: SC refuses former CBI chief’s plea to modify probe order

The Supreme Court on Monday refused to modify its 23 January order to investigate former CBI director Ranjit Sinha for allegedly influencing the probe into suspected irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks.

Coal block allocation: SC refuses former CBI chief’s plea to modify probe order

The Supreme Court on Monday refused to modify its 23 January order to investigate former CBI director Ranjit Sinha for allegedly influencing the probe into suspected irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks.

A bench headed by Justice M B Lokur said the order had already been passed in the matter and that the investigators will look into everything.

Vikas Singh, counsel for Sinha, relied on the alleged payoffs in the Sahara-Birla case and told the court that it had failed to consider the diary entries as compelling material for the probe initiated under its order.


“The apex court is one. This order was passed after the order in the alleged Sahara-Birla payoff case was given by another bench of the apex court. This order should not have been passed and therefore I am seeking modification of that order,” argued Singh.

The apex court had last week constituted an SIT headed by the current CBI director to look into the allegations of Sinha scuttling the coal scam probes when he was the agency’s chief.

The apex court in September 2015 appointed a team led by former CBI special director M.L. Sharma to probe if “investigations conducted by the CBI have been influenced in any manner by Mr Ranjit Sinha in respect of the accused in the coal block allocation case.”