Underwater search for missing Malaysian flight MH370 called off
The search fo plane that vanished in 2014 with 239 people on board, involved by the three countries- Malaysia, Australia and China .
The underwater search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has come to an end, with passengers’ families informed that the effort to find the plane has been suspended.
The search for plane that vanished in 2014 with 239 people on board, involved by the three countries. The location of Flight MH370 has become one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries since the plane, a Boeing 777, disappeared en route to Beijing from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur.
“Despite every effort using the best science available, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft,” Malaysian, Australian and Chinese authorities said in a statement. “The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness.” The last search vessel left the area on Tuesday, the three countries said, after scouring the 120,000-sq-km (46,000-sq-mile) area of the Indian Ocean sea floor that has been the focus of the almost-three-year search.
In July, Malaysia, Australia and China agreed to suspend the $145 million search if the plane was not found, or if new evidence that might offer a clue as to its whereabouts was not uncovered, once that area had been checked. Australia last month dismissed an investigators’ recommendation to shift the search further north, saying that no new evidence had emerged to support that.