After CM snub, IAS officers in Kerala withdraw en-masse leave protest

Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the government would not succumb to such pressure tactics or interfere in anti-graft investigations.

After CM snub, IAS officers in Kerala withdraw en-masse leave protest

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Monday snubbed IAS officers, saying their protest was not justifiable.Following his chiding, the officers withdrew their protest, Malayala Manorama has reported.
Protesting against the mode of functioning of Director of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau Jacob Thomas, senior IAS officers in Kerala earlier on Monday submitted their leave application to the Chief Secretary, as planned.

They had said there was no change in their stand to take leave en masse on Monday to protest against "dissatisfaction over allowing Jacob Thomas to continue abusing his powers", Mathrubhumi News reported. However, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the government would not succumb to such pressure tactics or interfere in anti-graft investigations.


The main complaint is that Jacob Thomas is taking law into his own hands and is misusing power.

A note issued to press after a meeting of several IAS officers held on Sunday accused the Vigilance Director of unleashing vindictive actions against officers who had either pointed out his illegal misdoings or questioned his powers to take law into his hands.

The note read, “We are requesting our colleagues of the Kerala IAS to avail of one day’s casual leave on January 9 to express our sadness, frustration and professional dissatisfaction and to show our solidarity with our aggrieved colleagues, in allowing the present Vigilance Director to continue abusing his powers.”

The note also said the government was "protecting" Thomas even though there were reports of against him.

Meanwhile, in an effort to ensure that the fight does not lead to an administrative standstill, unofficial discussions were held at the ministerial level to pacify the IAS officials. However, the officials stood firm on their stand.

The reason for the sudden provocation is that Vigilance named senior IAS officer and Additional Chief Secretary (Industries) Paul Antony as the third accused in the case related to alleged nepotism in the appointment of a relative by former Industries Minister EP Jayarajan.

But the CM said it was not the first time that IAS officers were facing such probes.

Paul Antony is the fourth IAS officer to come under the scanner of Vigilance after K M Abraham, Tom Jose, both facing charges of assets disproportionate to the known source of income and S Padmakumar, former Managing Director of state run Malabar Cements, who was arrested for alleged irregularities in the company.

Defending Antony, the note said the officer had only obeyed the written instruction of the Minister.